Saturday, July 2, 2011

Nanaimo Bars

These are a Canadian favorite that I first had on my mission. They are so good, and SO easy to make. You will love them. Oh, and I don't like coconut on a regular basis, but love these. So even if you don't particularly like coconut, you still need to try them.
Bottom Layer
1/2 c. unsalted butter
1/4 c. sugar
5 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 egg, beaten
1 3/4 c. graham cracker crumbs
1/2 c. finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut
Melt first 3 ingredients in top of a double boiler. Add egg and stir to cook and thicken. Remove from heat. Stir in crumbs, nuts, and coconut. Press firmly into an ungreased 8x8 pan.
*if you don't have a double boiler, I just used a normal sauce pan on med-low heat stirring constantly.
Second layer
1/2 c. unsalted butter, room temperature
2 Tbsp + 2 tsp heavy cream
2 Tbsp Bird's vanilla custard powder
2 c. powdered sugar
Cream butter, cream, custard powder, and sugar together well. Beat until light. Spread over bottom layer.
*Bird's vanilla custard powder is really only available in Canada and the UK (or online for a rediculous price). But a good substitute is instant vanilla pudding powder, which is what I used.
Topping
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz. each)
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
Melt chocolate and butter over low heat. Cool a little. When cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in the refigerator until set.
*I used semi-sweet chocolate chips which is a little less than a cup for 4oz. And I also did it in the microwave which only meant instead of pouring the chocolate on, I had to spread it. But remember, you don't want to over heat chocolate. I probably heated it for no longer the 45-50 seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment