Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tropical Chicken (or Ham)

I am sorry I haven't posted here in a long time. But, today, I was having a conversation with some ladies about using left-over ham and thought I would share my favorite recipe for using it.

1 T vegie oil (I leave this out)
6-8 chicken pieces, skin removed (I used 1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts the one time I made this with chicken), or cubed cooked ham (I probably do 1-2 cups)
1 envelope onion soup mix
1 8 oz bottle Catalina-or any red French-salad dressing
1 can crushed pineapple, drained (I use tidbits, I don't love the tecture of crushed)
1 small jar apricot preserves (8 oz)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions: in a large oven proof skillet, brown chicken in vegetable oil over medium high heat and season with salt and pepper. While chicken is browning, mix together other ingredients and pour over chicken and cover. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (I usually do 20-it's fully cooked and only is for heating through). Serve over rice.

I made this with chicken the first time I made it, then tried it with left over ham the next time. I have never made it with chicken again. The person who gave me the recipe said that chopped fresh coconut in it is really good-I'm not a fan, so I've never tried. You can adjust amounts of jam and soup mix to get the level of sweetness you prefer. I like it as is. It originally calls for a small can of pineapple, but I use a regular one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment